Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas wishes

I realize it is a tad early to really be talking about Christmas, but I recently learned about this cool initiative started by a Brazilian employee of the Embassy.  After learning there were many kids from his community that had never had a Christmas present, several years ago, he decided to start up a collection of gift donations. 

We decided to support his initiative this year and ended up with a letter from a 9 year old girl.  Her wish for Christmas this year was not what I would normally expect from a young child. 

Rather than ask for a doll, soccer ball or some other popular game or toy like many kids do, her Christmas wish was to get new school supplies. 

As we were shopping this weekend, trying to figure out what school supplies she would need or want most, I got to thinking about this simple request by the 9 year old girl.  I was a pretty good kid, but I am pretty sure I never asked for something so practical as school supplies.  I guess I didn't need to because it was a given that my parents would buy me the supplies I needed for school every year.  But for many children, including this girl, it is not a given. 

I feel blessed to be in a position to make this girl's Christmas wish a reality. 




3 comments:

  1. Oh that's sweet. What a great thing that guy has started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is so sweet. I got goose bumps when I read this. Good for you guys to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for doing this! What a sweet girl... I be she'll be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete